Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Build a table saw sled

My old behemoth 
A table saw sled is one of the most useful jigs to have in your shop.

Over the past couple of years I have had a number of people ask me to make a video showing how to make a sled. Youve probably seen me use mine many times.

I decided to make a new sled to address some of the problems I have experienced with my old one. The main problem with my old sled is that it is just too big for my table saw. Its got a whopping two feet of space in its bed and is too heavy. I made the mistake of using half inch plywood for its base, causing a little bit of flexing. Three-quarter ply will be much more stable. Almost every time I use the sled, I need to also use a stop block. It has always been a pain to find a chunk of wood and clamp it to the fence, so my new sled features a built-in, sliding stop block.

I will still use my old table saw sled from time to time, but this smaller, streamlined version will rule.

New, streamlined sled


1 comment:

  1. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look sawfinder thanks

    ReplyDelete